Sassari, which is located in the centre of a vast region in the north-west of Sardinia and is home to 130,000 inhabitants, is the second city in the island. Its ancient name Thathari, appeared for the first time in 1113, in an ancient register in the monastery of San Pietro di Silki. Its territory features numerous signs of the presence of humans from the Late Neolithic onwards, above all the pre-Nuragic altar of Monte d’Accoddi, constructed around 2400 BC. More than 170 Nuraghes testify to the importance of the ancient Nuragic civilisation, which emerged in Sardinia from 1800 BC to 238 BC, similarly many monuments remain from the successive Roman domination (238 BC – 460/467 BC). In 1294 the city became an independent Commune and issued the “Sassari Statutes”, which governed the political and administrative life of the town. The alliances stipulated with Pisa, and then with Genoa, favoured cultural and economic growth, testified to by the realisation of works such as the defensive walls and the Town Hall. With the end of the Spanish domination, which lasted circa four centuries, Sassari became a possession of the Savoys in 1720, but the strong cultural links with the Iberian peninsula ended only in 1877 with the demolition of the Aragonese castle, which dated to the 16th century.
Scheda aggiornata al 08/04/2014